- Definitions of symbiosis
- Understanding how and why symbioses can change through time
- Making inferences about biology from graphs
- Why is sex weird (evolutionarily speaking)?
- Why has it evolved?
- How does sex ratio evolve?
- How does sexual selection evolve?
- What is required for natural selection
- Selection versus drift versus mutational bias
- Frequency dependent selection
- Balancing selection
- Selection now
Online exercise is here, relevant code is server.r and ui.r.
- Understand a way to examine effect of traits on diversity
- Be able to extend our discussions in class into new areas
- Testing diversification with sister group comparisons
- Exponential growth
- Lineage through time plots
aka, should we let pandas go extinct?
After this session, you will understand how macroevolutionary knowledge, especially phylogenetics, can help in making conservation decisions, as well as how this can help us predict risk in the future.
- Major extinctions
- Background extinction
- Amphibian decline
- White Nose Syndrome
Be able to describe
- Self-incompatibility & diversity
- Cytoplasmic incompatibility