We are a Mac lab. Basic info when setting up a new one (modifying heavily from Bob Rudis’ example here):
- Turn on, create initial account, register with UTK.
- Create temporary account with admin privileges.
- Restart in this account, then use Migration Assistant to copy existing lab accounts and files from existing computer.
- Update all software (Mac App store)
- Install Xcode from the Mac App store.
- Open the Terminal.app in /Applications/Utilities.
- Install xcode command line tools by entering the following command in Terminal. [note: do the same for all commands listed in boxes: copy them, paste them in Terminal, hit return].
- Install homebrew. This is a package manager for Mac (there’s a linux version, too) that makes it easy to install applications with complex dependencies (alternatives are MacPorts and Fink, though I’ve found this most helpful). It’s a bit too cutesy with the “homebrew” aspect (tap, cask, caskroom, etc.) but it works well.
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
- It will ask for you password at that stage
- Then install necessary things
brew install svn brew install git brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz
- It will ask for your password in the xquartz install
brew cask install java brew tap homebrew/science brew install R
- This step will take some time. Now, install other useful things like RStudio and MacTeX. This can take some time (MacTex is HUGE)
brew install Caskroom/cask/rstudio brew cask install mactex
- Password again for mactex.
brew install libsvg curl libxml2 gdal geos boost R CMD javareconf JAVA_CPPFLAGS=-I/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers brew tap caskroom/fonts brew cask install font-fira-code brew cask install iterm2 brew install r-gui brew linkapps
- Yay, now we’ve installed almost everything we need. Now let’s get R a bunch of packages and configure things. First, set our CRAN repo:
echo "r <- getOption('repos'); r['CRAN'] <- 'https://cloud.r-project.org/'; options(repos = r);" > ~/.Rprofile
- Now start installing packages
Rscript -e "install.packages('devtools')" Rscript -e "install.packages('ctv')" Rscript -e "ctv::install.views(c('Phylogenetics', 'Optimization', 'HighPerformanceComputing', 'ReproducibleResearch', 'WebTechnologies'))"
- When you’re done, you can periodically ‘brew update’ and ‘brew upgrade’ to get new versions of your installed software.